Makes approx. 90 bite-sized pieces
- 4 C. Whole Milk
- 21 oz. Semolina, by weight
- 5 oz. Sugar, by weight
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Ground Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Powdered Sugar, for sprinkling
- In a medium stock pot, combine Milk, Semolina, Sugar, and Cinnamon Sticks.
- Over a high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat to Medium-Low and simmer, stirring often for another 30-60 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Discard cinnamon sticks and pour batter into silicone molds set on heavy sheet pans.
- Level the tops and set aside to cool.
- Bake cooled cakes, still in silicone molds, for 20 minutes at 350*F.
- Cool and chill.
- Unmold cakes and store in refrigerator with parchment between layers.
- Just prior to serving, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Adapted From: Matar, Marlene. “Western-Style Baklava: Baqlawa Franjiyeh“. The Aleppo Cookbook. Northhampton: INTERLINK BOOKS, 2017. p. 321