Makes 1 large pan of baked Mac & Cheese
- 1# Macaroni, cooked Al Dente
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tsp Mustard Powder
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 4 c Whole Milk
- 2 c Shredded Cheddar
- 2c Shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 1/2 c Shredded Swiss
- 1/2 c Grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 c Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large, heavy-bottom, oven-safe skillet, melt Butter over medium heat. (We have this fantastic chicken fryer.)
- Whisk in Flour and Spices to form a roux, and cook until light brown in color.
- Slowly whisk in Milk, then continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Whisk in Monterey Jack until melted and combined.
- Repeat with Cheddar, Swiss, then Parmesan, mixing until each cheese is thoroughly incorporated into sauce before adding next type. (This is the best ‘ease of melting’ order.)
- Stir in cooked macaroni until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover top of cheese & pasta mixture with layer of breadcrumbs.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 45 min.
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Mac & Cheese can be served hot or cool, and freezes and reheats very well.
- Add cubed ham or steamed broccoli when adding the macaroni to include more protein or vegetables, respectively.