Makes Large bowl of Mixture
- 6 C. Diced Onions
- 1 C. Canola Oil
- 6 # Lentils
- Kosher Salt
- 2 # Bulgar
- In large saute pan, cook Onions in 1/3 C. Canola Oil until caramelized.
- In a large stockpot, combine Lentils with 3 times as much water, plus a generous pinch of Kosher Salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat, and simmer approx. 25 min, or until just tender.
- In a large bowl, combine Bulgar and a generous pinch of Kosher Salt. Add twice the amount of boiling water and allow to sit for approx. 25 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- When Bulgar is cool enough to handle, remove extra moisture by squeezing Bulgar in a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Combine Lentils, Bulgar, remaining Canola Oil, and Caramelized Onions in a large bowl. Season to taste.
- Can be served hot, cold, or at room temp.
- Adapted From: Matar, Marlene. “Lentils with Caramelized Onion: Mjaddaret Burghol“. The Aleppo Cookbook. Northhampton: INTERLINK BOOKS, 2017. p. 244