Makes 2 QT.
- 2.5 # Turnips
- 2 Beets
- 6 TBSP Pickling Salt
- 1 C. Red Wine Vinegar, plus extra for top off.
- Clean 2 – 1 QT. canning jars, lids, and bands.
- Wash and peel turnips and beets. Quarter turnips and thinly slice beets.
- Layer turnips and beets in canning jars.
- In a large pot, combine 4 C. water and 6 TBSP; stir until all of the salt dissolves.
- Remove from heat, skim any particles from the surface, and stir in red wine vinegar.
- Carefully pour hot liquid into jars, filling to the rim. Top off with extra vinegar if needed.
- Let jars cool and seal, then store in refrigerator for at least 6 days.
- The longer the turnips are allowed to pickle, the more mellow the taste.
- Experiment with additional ingredients and vinegars to achieve different flavors.
- Adapted From: Matar, Marlene. “Pickled Turnips: Mukhallal Lifit or Shalgham“. The Aleppo Cookbook. Northhampton: INTERLINK BOOKS, 2017. p. 283