Makes 1 qt.
- 1.5# Mushrooms
- 2-3 springs fresh thyme
- 1 Small Onion or 1 Large Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1.5 tsp Whole Allspice
- 1 TBSP Black Peppercorns
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 TBSP Sea Salt
- 1/3 C. White Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 C. Water
- Wash and dry a 1 qt. canning jar and lid.
- Wash and Drain Mushrooms thoroughly to remove all dirt. Slice small mushrooms in half and large into quarters.
- Place springs of thyme into canning jar.
- Combine all other ingredients, including the mushrooms, in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully pour the hot mushrooms & liquid into the jar (use a canning funnel!).
- Let the jar cool, cap the jar, and store in the fridge for at least 3 days before opening.
- Mushrooms left to pickled for longer will be more mellow in taste.
- Experiment with spice & herb combinations to create new flavors.