Makes one large pie or 2 medium pies.
- Pie Crust (enough to make case and lid)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (I use Garlic infused)
- 6 slices Thick Cut Bacon, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 1# Mushrooms, chopped
- 1-2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Large Waxy Potato (Red, White, or Butter), chopped
- 1# Chuck Beef (Steak, Roast, Stew Chunks, etc.), diced
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 c Beef Stock
- 1 Tbsp Rubbed Sage
- 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Dried Summer Savor
- Black Pepper
- Line your pie pan with a crust casing, leaving approx. 1/2″ overhang. Set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, over medium-high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, add bacon and cook until it just starts to brown.
- Add onion & shallot and stir until evenly mixed. Add mushrooms and carefully stir to evenly mix. Cook mixture down until onions, shallots, and mushrooms release their water and begin to brown.
- Add carrot and potato to pan, stir, and cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- Toss beef chunks in flour until fully coated. Add beef to pan and cook until brown.
- Add remaining flour to pan and cook, stirring regularly until flour forms a light roux.
- Add broth, herbs, and pepper, stirring well.
- Simmer mixture over medium heat until a gravy forms. Salt to taste.
- Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Generously fill pie casing with mixture, cover with lid, crimp and trim edges. Cut small vent holes.
- Bake 40 – 50 minutes at 400°F, until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Easily Made Gluten Free by substituting the pie crust for Gluten-Free pie crust and replacing the flour with a 1:1 mixture of White Rice Flour and Tapioca Starch. (I actually prefer to use this mixture to create my gravy.)
- Filling can be made a few days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.