Makes 4 C. Apple Butter
- 4 Qt. Apples
- 2 Qt. Water
- 1 1/2 Qt. Apple Cider
- 1 1/2 # Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- Wash & Slice Apples, removing stems.
- Add apples to large pot. Cover with cold water and boil until soft.
- Press cooked apples through a sieve or food mill to remove seeds and skin.
- Pour cider into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add apple pulp and sugar.
- Cook mixture until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add spices and continue to cook until thick enough to spread.
- Use a variety of apples to achieve a range of flavor profiles.
- Apple butter can be canned in jars, or frozen until needed.