Makes 2 QT.
- 2 Qt. Canned Beets in Juice
- 1 Qt. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 8 Cloves
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 C. Sugar
- Wash and dry 2 – 1 QT. canning jars, lids, and bands.
- Carefully Drain Beets, reserving the liquid, and fill jars.
- Fill jars halfway full with Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Add cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon to jars.
- Estimate the remaining liquid needed, and add that amount of beet juice into a pot.
- Add half as much sugar as beet juice to the pot and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour hot liquid into jars, allow to cool, and seal.
- Store sealed jars in refrigerator for at least 3 days before eating.
- Fresh beets can be used, but they will need to be washed, peeled, and chopped, plus additional beet juice will need to be added.
- Chop or slice the beets for faster pickling.
- Experiment with different spices and vinegars to achieve different flavors.