Makes 9 x 13 pan
- 1# Pasta
- 3 TBSP Vegan Butter
- 3 TBSP Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 C Unsweetened Rice Milk
- 8 – oz pkg Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
- 8 – oz pkg Daiya Cheddar Shreds
- 1/2 C Unseasoned Bread Crumbs
- Cook pasta to al dente, per package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Set aside in large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt vegan butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in Nutritional Yeast, Flour, & Spices and cook roux until golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in Rice Milk and cook until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Add in bag of Daiya Mozzarella Shreds and whisk until melted.
- Add in bag of Daiya Cheddar Shreds and whisk until melted.
- Pour cheeze mixture over pasta and mix until well combined.
- Lightly grease 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and pour in pasta/cheeze mixture.
- Liberally pour breadcrumbs over top of pasta to create a breadcrumb top.
- Place pan on cookie sheet and bake for 30 – 40 mintues, or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- I add diced ham between steps 8 & 9 to add protein. Obviously, this makes it no longer vegan.
- It could be made gluten-free by substituting in GF pasta, flour, and bread crumbs, but I have not tried that out, so YMMV.
- Other non-dairy milks can be used, but I find the Rice Milk is the most flavor neutral for this use.