Makes approx. 60 small meatballs
- For Meatballs
- 1 Tbsp Peanut or Vegetable Oil + Oil for Frying
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3# Ground Chicken
- 3 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger or Ginger Paste
- 2 Large Carrots, Grated
- 1 Egg, beaten
- White Parts of 6 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 C Sesame Seeds, toasted
- 3 Heaped Tbsp White Miso Paste
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- For Sauce
- 1/2 C Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 C Mirin
- 3/4 C Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, toasted
- Green Parts of 6 Scallions, roughly chopped
- Combine all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly using large spoon or hands.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate mixture for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight.
- Heat a couple Tbsp oil in a large frying pan, until it begins to shimmer.
- Using a small (2 tsp) disher, drop walnut-sized meatballs into pan, keeping them 1/2″ apart, until the pan is full.
- Cook meatballs, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5, adding oil sparingly to pan as needed, until all of the meatball mixture has been used.
- Make sauce by combining soy sauce, lemon juice, mirin, brown sugar, salt, and sesame seeds in a small bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Return half of the meatballs to the frying pan, pour half of the sauce of the meatballs.
- Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce reduces to a sticky glaze.
- Pour off completed meatballs into a clean dish and repeat steps 8 & 9 with remaining meatballs and sauce.
- Garnish with green parts of scallions.
- To serve all day in a slow cooker, make a 2nd batch of sauce and add to meatballs in slow cooker. Serve on low or warm.
- Best served over Jasmine Rice with sauteed vegetables on the side.
- Meatballs and sauce can be easily frozen in smaller batches and re-heated as needed.